Description of Patch
Greetings all! This is my first contribution to open source software, so please be patient if I screw something up.
In response to my own feature request a few days ago, I have generated a patch file that consists of *.in files I changed, in addition to a few .c files. This allows a user to install Motion with ffmpeg support onto Cygwin-1.7 beta. The reason for using the latest Cygwin is that they support some apis that were previously unimplemented in earlier versions.
I tried to make the installation as painless as possible, with Cygwin querks hopefully dealt with in an appropriate way. I also tried to adhere to the coding standard. Hopefully there are others out there that wish to see this port become mature. I have included some steps below that I followed on XP and Vista to get this to work. Cheers! -Tom
1. download Cygwin 1.7 Beta
2. Run Cygwin installer
3. Install the following packages:
- Admin: cygrunsrv
- Devel: autoconf, gcc, libjpeg-devel, make, patchutils, zlib-devel
- Utils: diffutils
4. download ffmpeg-0.5.tar.bz2
5. download motion-188.8.131.52.tar.gz
6. launch the cygwin shell, and run the following to extract ffmpeg and Motion:
- bzip2 -d ffmpeg-0.5.tar.bz2
- tar xf ffmpeg-0.5.tar
- tar xfz motion-184.108.40.206.tar.gz
7. run the following commands to install ffmpeg:
- cd ffmpeg-0.5
- make install
8. download CygwinPatch
_vX.diff, where X is the version number
(autoconf is to generate the updated configure file after the patch is applied)
9. run the following commands to install motion:
- cd ../motion-220.127.116.11
- patch < CygwinPatch _vX.diff
- make install
- mv /usr/local/bin/motion /usr/local/bin/motion.exe
- cp /usr/local/etc/motion-dist.conf /usr/local/etc/motion.conf
10. configure motion.conf as desired
Installing as a Windows Service (optional):
cygrunsrv -I Motion_Service --path /usr/local/bin/motion.exe --args "-n" --desc "Motion daemon for Cygwin."
Installation of Patch
Download the patch file. If it is packed as a gz or tar.gz unpack it first. Then copy it to the motion source directory and issue the command (assuming the patch file is called filename_of_patch_file.diff)
patch < filename_of_patch_file.diff
Then re-build Motion and test the patch.
Change History of Patch
hi, the download link is wrong at
"8. download CygwinPatch
_vX.diff, where X is the version number "
- 13 May 2013
Patch can be found in the attachments section below.
- 08 Mar 2014